Friday, October 14, 2011

National Breast Cancer Awareness Month: The Pink Ribbon Campaign

October is national breast cancer awareness month commonly known as the Pink Ribbon Campaign. This month we raise awareness to the cause for the fight against breast cancer. Breast cancer affects each of us in some way whether personally or through the life of a friend or loved one. When I was a child, I recall my mother announcing that she had to have surgery because of a growth that developed in one of her breasts. After her surgery, the doctor informed her that the growth was benign meaning it was not cancerous.

I did not fully understand the situation, however, based on the relief in my mother's voice  I knew she was happy with the results of her surgery. From that time to young adulthood, I never thought about that situation again, until I learned that a female church member was diagnosed with breast cancer. This person was a mother, wife, daughter and sister. My last memory of her was that she was a sweet, loving person. Her death (as any one's would be) was a huge loss to family and those who knew and loved her. Although she's the only person whom I have known personally to die from breast cancer, I've known of people whose loved ones have passed away during their battle with breast cancer.

While there are different reasons why breast cancer affect many lives today. I believe that one of the reasons some people lose the battle with breast cancer is due to a lack of awareness. This is why breast cancer awareness month is necessary, so that we can not only raise awareness, but also educate people on early detection. It is imperative to knowing how to give self-breast exams and  encourage mammograms especially for people whose family member may have been diagnosed with breast or ovarian cancer. I recently learned that breast and ovarian cancer are related. I obtained this information while at a doctor's visit for my mammogram. Thank goodness it was okay.

Businesses everywhere are teaming up with cancer awareness organizations such as the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation, the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the American Cancer Society, etc., to join in the effort to raise awareness about breast cancer. Among the businesses that are advocating for the cause is Dannon's yogurt. Dannon's has teamed up with the National Breast Cancer Foundation and launched a breast cancer awareness campaign through their Cups of Hope Program. This effort enables customers who purchase Dannon's brand yogurts such as Stonyfield's Activia, to log on to http://www.cupsofhope.com. Once logged on to the Cups of Hope site, enter your email address and the  code which is indicated under the lid of the yogurt cup and click submit. It's that simple. Dannon's honors this action by donating $0.20 to the National Breast Cancer Foundation and donates an additional $0.10 when the information is shared on Facebook and/or Twitter by clicking on the buttons indicated on the site. You can also support Dannon's Cups of Hope Program by clicking "Like" on Oikos Greek Yogurt's Facebook page where an additional $0.10 will be donated to the breast cancer cause. I was excited after I purchased Dannon's strawberry Activia Greek yogurt and peeled back the foiled lid where I read about how my purchase and subsequent action, enabled me to contribute to the cause of breast cancer awareness. Needless to say, I ran to my laptop to enter my email and code, and immediately shared this information on my Facebook and Twitter page. I also clicked "Like" on the Oikos Greek Yogurt page. You can too!

The wonderful thing about supporting the breast cancer awareness cause is, everyone is included. Men are not left out of the effort either. Remember, real men wear pink! Women, let's fight like a girl and support breast cancer awareness by getting those mammograms and giving ourselves breast exams. You all can participate by donating and encouraging others to donate. Also, show your support by wearing pink for the month of October. Let's think pink!

Smooches!

No comments: